Thursday, November 16, 2006

I forgot!

I can't believe it. It is all she talked about for weeks. I even signed the permission slip. Then, I forgot. I was busily starting my day, washing dishes, vacuuming, and this morning I decided to give the dog a much needed bath. Although I don't think he'd admit it to anyone who can speak dog, I think he actually enjoyed it. I came back to the living room, started folding laundry and looked up at the clock.....when I saw the time 10:50 it hit me! Oldest daughters Parent Lunch at the school. I forgot. : ( They had to have it at 10:30 so that it wouldn't interrupt regular lunch schedules)

I normally don't forget these kinds of things, I am a stay at home mom (for the most part) so I really have no other plans that could get in the way of time with my kids, especially when invited by the school to have lunch with my kids. I just got caught up with chores. CHORES. Why did I get caught up with chores of all things?? I have vowed to never again be so obsessed with chores that I miss one of the kids events at school. I felt terrible!

When I realized what I had done I immediately went to the school hoping that maybe they were still eating. Meanwhile I got a phone call on my cell phone from one of the other moms asking where I was. They know I am the type of mom that always comes to these things. I told them I was on the way but they were just finishing. I had just enough time to hug my daughter and tell her how sorry I was that I missed it. She was ok with it, she was a little sad that I wasn't there but she said, "that's ok, mommy." I was more upset about the whole situation than she was. I told her I'd make it up to her, when actually there was nothing I could do. The other moms sat with her so that she wasn't alone but I SHOULD have been there.

That was the only thing I HAD to do today and I forgot.

1 comment:

Sarah Reinhard said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. Maybe by not going you avoided a life-altering accident. (Or that's what I tell myself...) Perhaps that stuff you got done at home was good for your sanity. Could be that little M1 needs to learn about Mommy showing up...and the need to keep hope. Might be that Mommy needs to learn to forgive herself. :) Or not. I tend to overthink...everything (in case you hadn't noticed!)