Thursday, September 21, 2006

Fall is in the air

Living in the south has its benefits but it also has what I call its downfalls. Like for instance, Seasons. I truly miss seasons.....knowing it is fall because the leaves start to change color, waking up to frost on the ground, the smell of.....well I guess it is just the smell of fall.

I know it is fall only because the great big tree in the yard starts dropping its acorns and as I drive down the driveway I crunch them with my car. It was finally below 70 degrees last night....yes you heard correctly 70 degrees has been the low around here. High's are still in the upper 80's......I look forward to waking up in the morning only to open the back door and get the first glimpse of "cool" weather. Maybe it is the country life I miss.....hearing the rooster crow from a mile away, letting the dog out and not let him back in until an hour later when he is done "exploring" the entire farm. And yes I even miss, in the winter, having to go out and warm up the car before we can go anywhere. It is those little things that may seem like a hassle at the time but looking back those are the things I miss.

Around here the weather is so mild that the leaves don't change color.....let me rephrase....they go brown. They are green one day and brown the next, or so it seems. No beautiful oranges, reds, greens, and even sometimes purple. And I used to LOVE to rake leaves....they were so beautiful that I didn't mind the chore. Here, the leaves fall and a rake just don't cut it. You have to "blow" the ones on the driveway to the lawn and when you mow you "bag" them up. It really is a chore now.

I will say that winter months aren't half bad.....I had to scrape my window a couple times but only had to use the rubber side of the scraper. : ) Sitting on the back patio enjoying my hammock and listening to the world around me is quite nice around Thanksgiving! Much to be thankful for.

I guess if you have lived here your whole life you dont' know any different, but I am glad that I know and long for the days when I can go back. The sad part is I don't often get to visit at this wonderful time of the year because it is school time.

One day, maybe I'll have the chance to own a few acres and my children will have a chance to experience some of the things I did as a child. Until then I am thankful to have a roof (not blue anymore) over my head and a place to call home.

1 comment:

Sarah Reinhard said...

What a beautiful perspective, Susie! :)