Sunday, September 17, 2006

Church Etiquette

While in mass this morning I was a bit disturbed.....I was always told (mostly by Fr. Kevin) that mass is over when the final blessing is given and after the priest exits. Now, mass was a bit longer this morning with some extra blessings given and the priest was new (temp). I enjoy hearing how priests from other churches say mass.....it gives extra meaning sometimes to the (what seems like mundane ) mass.
After about 58 minutes the couple in front of me started getting restless and we had just finished the Our Father. They were whispering among each other and looking very bothered that the mass had gone over their limit of 1 hour to Jesus. I was especially bothered by their behavior during the Consecration. This is MY time to be with Jesus and I couldn't ignore this. Imagine how hurt Jesus was. Apparently they had better places to be?! Is that possible?!
They left immediately after Communion. How rude. Thanks for the gift but we really must be going!? We don't have any more time for you....we were just here for the free gift?

And to top it off a couple was leaving mass (at the appropriate time) and commented to me (to them a total stranger) how rude the woman behind them was. Her 2 yr old daughter was misbehaving durning mass and they were totally offended. What they didn't know is that the woman and child they were referring to was a good friend of mine. I told them that God was happy that child was here.....fussing and all!! They were surprised by that comment and said the mother should have left.
If you know me at all you know that I will avoid confrontation at ALL costs but this one I wanted to approach head on. I stepped up (really without even knowing what I was goin to say) and told her that maybe she should pray for that mother and her daughter and thank God she goes to church and brings her kids.....this is something a lot of parents would skip to avoid their child having a meltdown in the middle of mass. The man said oh, we do.....Please, God make her move.......! Huh?! That is not what I meant. Maybe we need to pray for that couple as well so that maybe they will realize that mass is for everyone.....not just the well behaved.
To top it all off the mass we attended was the "children's mass"! Led by the children and for the children. God, I pray that you give that couple strength to know that God loves them and the misbehaving child.....all the same!

God bless, have a great day!

1 comment:

Sarah Reinhard said...

In reacting without charity, we run the risk of being just like those whom we criticize. I say this because my first reaction is to (not just metaphorically) grab these people around the neck and lay on some pressure. Yep, you're right. NEED TO PRAY!

Not just for this couple. We live in a very anti-family society. Children are so very often NOT welcome. Children are a burden, a pain, something that you do when your instincts kick in. NEED TO PRAY!

That said, maybe you were the first person to ever have the guts to tell these people something different, something other than what they have always thought. I've written a lot about my struggles with Toddler-tron, and I have the bestest group of people around me ever, but I struggle with the pressure of being the holder of the screamer.

Jesus said, "let the children come to me." In my own experience of motherhood, I have come to understand this to mean that yes, it means the wiggling, screaming, active, CHILDLIKE children. And you know what, we were all that way once. Including Jesus.

I don't think Mary kept him home. Oh yeah, he was lost in the synagogue at age 12 or so. Huh.

Let's pray for this couple, and for all people who have this mindset. Whether they're the vocal minority or the out-of-wack majority, they're wrong. Period.

So, at the risk of writing more than your post...it is technically OK to leave Mass after communion. It is a little rude, like leaving dinner at Grandma's before she puts the dishes away and before you give her a hug. My understanding is that the most appropriate time to leave is after the priest has already processed out.