Thursday, October 19, 2006

Brand Name or Generic

I think we have all been faced with the decision at least once in our lives, should I save 10 cents and buy the generic or pay more for what is supposed to be better quality? I struggle with this every time I go to the grocery. I want to save money (who doesn't?) but is it going to taste the same as what I expect? Is the product not going to meet my expectations and sit on the shelf therefore I have actually saved nothing, I have wasted the product altogether.
Most products are similar enough if not the same however on the flip side I have bought a package of frozen vegetables, Green Giant I believe, and found a stem in it. I expect better quality than that if I am going to pay the extra money. If that had been the generic I would have thought well you get what you pay for.
And while I am on the subject, do I buy in bulk? I live in a small house, enough living space for me and my family but I don't have the storage space for 100 rolls of toilet paper! I try to only go to the grocery twice a month with the exception of that 'on the way home from work' run for milk. I would like to say that I have a menu planned and always know what is for dinner each night however I haven't been able to pull that off. It would be GREAT!! I love when I do remember to think about dinner in advance and come home from work to a warm crock pot full of spaghetti! Yum!
I don't mind going to the grocery (as long as I have a list....I've got to have the list) and I don't mind cooking dinner, it is trying to be creative and think of what to have for dinner that I am stuck on. My family is not too picky, they eat what I put out for them. Any suggestions? What do you do for your family? Are you the menu type? Do you just order out/in? I do hear the occasional complaint when I fix something with spinach....but that's another story. : )

1 comment:

Sarah Reinhard said...

That question of brand name or generic just does depend on the product, doesn't it? Ketchup, for example, HAS to be Heintz. Cola HAS to be Coke (less stringent on that one, though). Soup HAS to be Campbell's (well, I've not been brave enough, I'll admit it...) No tricking that guy with the sensitive taste buds.

As for menus...I WISH!!!!!!!!! Since discovering Rachael Ray a few months ago, well, I've been better at reaching my goal of cooking a "real" meal at least twice a week (well, back when I FIRST discovered RR, it was like three or four nights, but it turns out I don't love cooking even if I do love RR - tee hee hee, no pun intended with those initials!!!)

Michelle over at rosetta stone has done some amazing things to inspire me to THINK about planning ahead (when there are more chilluns I think I will HAVE to be better...baby steps, Sarah, baby steps). She does a lot with freezing things, which I'm interested in (but still essentially too lazy to do much about...)

*sigh*

What to do?

If you lived closer, we could swap. I have a couple of friends who have a "cooking club" and they cook for each other and swap - two meals a week. Now, that might not be so bad. I couldn't join in their deal because, well, they're EXPERTS (and you know me, I'm NOT). But you don't live closer, so I'll cheer you on from here and sniff hard for the aroma of your special spices...