Monday, August 21, 2006

As I log on and get all excited to check this morning's blog's I am interrupted with, "mom, she's making faces at me!" and other annoying yet somewhat humorous (only b/c I remember doing things like this to my sister) chatter coming from the bedroom. I have to chuckle as the both come running to my side with each of their own unique explanation as to why they are fighting...again! Keep in mind it was 6:30am when all of this started. Thank you God for the teachers at the girls' school......give them guidance and paitence.

My next attempt is closer to lunch time after having finished several loads of the endless laundry that somehow piles up through the week. Again interrupted but this time by my husband who calls to ask me to a "lunch date". How can I turn this down?! I so enjoy our lunch dates, I feel like we are dating again but this time I have no pressure or stress related with dating.....just a nice lunch....how is your day....loveyoubye sort of date.

I sometimes feel overwhelmed by the demands put upon me by myself, family, and society in general. I feel like I need to "do the right thing" by staying at home with my kids and on the other hand I have become greedy and feel the need to work outside of the home to better provide for my children (and myself and husband of course). Not that my kids are even home anymore, they are both in school all day now. I work the aftercare program so I am with them for a few hours and make a few dollars too. Sometimes just doesn't seem like enough.

I see other families who look like they are doing well and come to find out they are in the midst of a separation or financial dispair....maybe they just play the part of "happy family" better than others. I want to BE the happy family.....not just play the part. Any suggestions from other moms struggling with the same is most appreciated.

So much to write and so much else I need to be doing. Have a wonderful day and remember.....only you can prevent forest fires!!!! : ) You gotta love Smokey the Bear!!

1 comment:

Sarah Reinhard said...

Great post, Susie! I think you hit the nail on the head when you say "I wan tto BE the happy family." And I think we have to always remember that as we seek happiness, we are called to remember the One who has given us so much, and who gives himself for us at every Eucharistic celebration. When we keep HIM first, the grace will flow around us like water overflowing from a cup. When we keep HIS WILL in our site, we will not stray.

There are a lot of things you can BUY in life, things that you can HAVE. But there is nothing to give you back the tickle you get when your children hug you or the pang when your spouse kisses you unexpectedly.

Let Mother Mary guide you to her son. He won't lead you wrong! :)